Our Play Based Approach Offers...
• indoor and outdoor areas to facilitate play and learning
• a variety of play spaces and activities in religion, literacy, numeracy, art, music, science, gross motor, fine motor, dramatic play, sensory, construction, listening, technology with ipads and smartboards
• a range of open-ended experiences and materials
• projects based upon the interests of the children
* opportunities to pursue these interests for longer periods of time
We are inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach to early childhood education. We believe that children are full of curiosity and creativity. Our projects emerge from their interests and ideas as a group. Whatever the students are excited about is what drives our instruction and through their interests we align our learning outcomes.
What does this look like in the classroom?
You will find our teachers spending time observing the children in order to determine their interests and topics of study. Next, we step into the investigation phase whereby experiences are set up for the children to explore in whole or small groups and all the while our teachers are observing the learning taking place as well as documenting what they notice. A web of questions is then created from the wonder the students have and when answers are discovered by the children, they are added to this chart for all to see. There is no timeline to the depth of discovery the children need in order for new learning to take place.